which sata to which disk

Mike Lovell mike at dev-zero.net
Mon Feb 28 11:56:01 MST 2011

On 02/28/2011 11:47 AM, Merrill Oveson wrote:
> Plug:
>
> I have raid (mdadm).
>
> I have a failed drive.  So I need to replace the broken drive.
>
> The question, I have is:  how do I know which sata is connected to
> which drive (so I know which to replace.)
>
> Is there a special linux command that says e.g.:   sata 1 connected to sda?

you could grab the serial number for sda through something like `sudo
smartctl -a /dev/sda | grep Serial` or doing `ls -l /dev/disk/by-id |
grep sda` and then, when you are changing disks, look for the serial
number of the dead disk. this assumes that either you can take the box
down to look at the serial numbers of each drive or you can see the
serial numbers without disconnecting them. definitely something worth
doing to verify which disk is which.

mike