backup KVM guest

Mike Lovell mike at dev-zero.net
Thu Feb 17 16:17:32 MST 2011

On 02/14/2011 02:09 AM, Make Compile wrote:
> Hi guys,
> anyone here running on kvm virtualization? I'm looking a solution for backing up my kvm guest without LVM snapshot. coz I'm running it on a none lvm partition. What i did to backup is to go offline state and then do the old way command "cp" the image file to its destination media. Anyone here suggest a good strategy. Tnx

backing up a vm should be no different than backing up any other server.
there are many alternatives for backing up a system. rsync to a remote
host, bacula, amanda, crashplan, compilation of self built shell scripts.

how to do backups for vms was brought up several times over the several
months i was on the xen-users mailing list. it seemed the general good
advice is to do a backup from within the vm just like you would any
other server. many wanted to use something like lvm snapshots to do full
filesystem backups while the vm is running. the problem is that when you
take the lvm snapshot, you are taking a snapshot of a currently mounted
filesystem which may or may not have problems with it. it will work for
vms that have a low volume of writes but something like a database would
be a bad thing.

one backup strategy i saw at a previous job, and like, was to rsync /
(excluding /dev, /proc, /sys, /tmp, etc) to a rsync server and then use
hard links on the rsync server to create a rolling snapshots of what the
filesystem looked like. i don't have access to the scripts and config
for that backup system but this link describes something similar.
http://www.mikerubel.org/computers/rsync_snapshots/

of course, there are many many other options depending on what you want
to do. hope that helps.

mike