voip over wifi via cell phone

Levi Pearson levipearson at gmail.com
Tue Feb 15 16:37:26 MST 2011

On Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 3:45 PM, Gabriel Gunderson <gabe at gundy.org> wrote:
> The latest Android 2.3 (Gingerbread) has a SIP stack built into the platform:
>
> """
> The user can make voice calls over the internet to other users who
> have SIP accounts. The user can add an internet calling number (a SIP
> address) to any Contact and can initiate a call from Quick Contact or
> Dialer. To use internet calling, the user must create an account at
> the SIP provider of their choice — SIP accounts are not provided as
> part of the internet calling feature. Additionally, support for the
> platform's SIP and internet calling features on specific devices is
> determined by their manufacturers and associated carriers.
> """

This is pretty cool.  The downside is that 2.3 is only available on
the newest Android phones right now, and counting on a speedy upgrade
of a 2.2 handset to 2.3 is risky.  Getting one of the Google phones
(Nexus One, Nexus S) would make timely and continuing OS upgrades more
likely.

If you run a voip program on a pre-2.3 Android (and I don't know if
it's different on 2.3 or not, though I'd assume it works with the
built-in SIP) you won't be able to use a bluetooth headset with your
voip program.

  --Levi