voip over wifi via cell phone

Gabriel Gunderson gabe at gundy.org
Tue Feb 15 15:45:56 MST 2011

On Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 10:27 AM, Jeff Moyes
<ml at mindstormdevelopment.com> wrote:
> Does anybody know, is this just for some smart phones? or can
> essentially any smart phone do this? Of the phones that can do this, is
> it just built into the phone or do you have to go and grab your own voip
> client for the phone?
>
> I'm thinking of getting an Android based phone (yes, there is linux
> involved with this question   )
>
> If I'm just installing some third party voip software, is it just
> something like Skype or Fringe?

The latest Android 2.3 (Gingerbread) has a SIP stack built into the platform:

"""
The user can make voice calls over the internet to other users who
have SIP accounts. The user can add an internet calling number (a SIP
address) to any Contact and can initiate a call from Quick Contact or
Dialer. To use internet calling, the user must create an account at
the SIP provider of their choice — SIP accounts are not provided as
part of the internet calling feature. Additionally, support for the
platform's SIP and internet calling features on specific devices is
determined by their manufacturers and associated carriers.
"""

For iPhone, I've used the Bria SIP client.  About $8 and it works pretty well.

Best,
Gabe