voip over wifi via cell phone

Levi Pearson levipearson at gmail.com
Tue Feb 15 12:52:36 MST 2011

On Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 12:38 PM, Michael Torrie <torriem at gmail.com> wrote:

> I think that only T-Mobile has phones that can tunnel GSM over 802.11.
> And they are not necessarily even smart phones.

There are two sets of phones that call over WiFi.  The first includes
Blackberries, some Nokias, and some Samsungs.  I don't think any of
them are Android phones.  They use the @Home/Unlimited WiFi Calling
system, which does voice, SMS, and limited mobile web through a WiFi
hotspot.  These also support GSM/WiFi handoff, so you can leave your
hotspot without dropping your call.  The plans that supported these
also didn't meter your WiFi calls.

The other set are Android phones, and not even all of them.  I think
all the new ones support it, though.  New plans supporting this meter
your minutes and there's no handoff between WiFi and GSM.  The Android
app is called 'WiFi Calling' and it's only officially available when
pre-installed on the phone or part of an official ROM update.

  --Levi