voip over wifi via cell phone

Jared Smith jaredsmith at jaredsmith.net
Tue Feb 15 11:20:00 MST 2011

On Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 12:27 PM, Jeff Moyes
<ml at mindstormdevelopment.com> wrote:
> I've heard that with smart phones, if you are in a wifi zone that you
> can connect to, you can reroute your calls over the wifi (using voip)
> and not use the cell radio (and therefore not use up cell minutes).

That's correct.  I've been doing it for five or six years now.

> Does anybody know, is this just for some smart phones? or can
> essentially any smart phone do this? Of the phones that can do this, is
> it just built into the phone or do you have to go and grab your own voip
> client for the phone?

Support obviously varies from smartphone to smartphone.  Many of the
newer Nokia smartphones (most of the E and N series) have a SIP client
built into the OS, which makes it much better on the battery life, as
the OS handles the wakeups appropriately.  Things seem to work OK for
me on my Android devices, but VoIP calls really tend to chew through
the battery pretty quickly.

> If I'm just installing some third party voip software, is it just
> something like Skype or Fringe?

Yup... SIPdroid is popular among Android users.

> Is it possible to reroute cell calls through the voip (like by getting a
> SIP account and then getting a Google Talk account that is set up to
> also contact the SIP account whenever the cell number is called, and
> then just answering the SIP connection instead of the cell connection)?

Sure!

> In addition to any help from the list, does anybody know any good
> resources that talk about this (hopefully without tons of telecomm
> jargon or else explanations of the jargon as you go)?

Not off the top of my head -- but feel free to ask on the list here,
and I'll try to respond.

--
Jared Smith
Fedora Project Leader (and former VoIP geek)