voip over wifi via cell phone

Jeff Moyes ml at mindstormdevelopment.com
Tue Feb 15 10:27:18 MST 2011

Hey,

I'm just wondering if anyone knows anything about the following (I'll
ask lots of questions just to show the types of things I'm wondering,
but any information about any of this would be helpful so please don't
be turned off by the quantity of questions).

I've heard that with smart phones, if you are in a wifi zone that you
can connect to, you can reroute your calls over the wifi (using voip)
and not use the cell radio (and therefore not use up cell minutes).

Does anybody know, is this just for some smart phones? or can
essentially any smart phone do this? Of the phones that can do this, is
it just built into the phone or do you have to go and grab your own voip
client for the phone?

I'm thinking of getting an Android based phone (yes, there is linux
involved with this question   )

If I'm just installing some third party voip software, is it just
something like Skype or Fringe?

Is it possible to reroute cell calls through the voip (like by getting a
SIP account and then getting a Google Talk account that is set up to
also contact the SIP account whenever the cell number is called, and
then just answering the SIP connection instead of the cell connection)?

In addition to any help from the list, does anybody know any good
resources that talk about this (hopefully without tons of telecomm
jargon or else explanations of the jargon as you go)?

Thanks!

Jeff