Spamassassin kill legitimate messages.

Dallin Jones squitoey at gmail.com
Mon Feb 7 07:59:41 MST 2011

I have been filtering email through SpamAssassin and I have been
thinking it works fine. But over the last weekend, I have found that
when I am trying to send email that has either a CC or a BCC, then the
entire message gets lost. The reason I say lost, it because I can watch
the Postfix logs, which gets the message and then delivers it to
SpamAssassin (just as I would expect). Then, in the Spam Assassin logs
it shows that the message was marked with a pass (My test email was at
-4) and then I would expect to see something back in postfix saying that
it was reinjected and ready for delivery to the MDA or to send it out to
the rest of the world. This is not the case though, I simply don't get
anymore logs in relation to the message. I am wondering if something bad
is happening right before Spam Assassin finishes, which from what I
understand would cause the message to bounce. I'm not able to see any
errors though. Any ideas of what I can look at next. Or maybe there is a
better way to call SpamAssassin, here is how I am calling it (from
master.cf).

smtp      inet  n       -       n       -       -       smtpd
    -o content_filter=spamassassin

spamassassin
         unix -  n       n       -       -       pipe
         user=spamd argv=/usr/bin/spamc -u ${recipient} -e
/usr/sbin/sendmail -oi -f ${sender} ${recipient}

I've looked at several sites (from several Google searches) that talk
about how to setup SpamAssassin, and this appears to be a fairly normal
setup, but I have a hard time believing that everyone would want CC or
BCC messages to get blocked like this. Maybe I have a configuration
problem in SpamAssassin, but I am not sure what to even look at there.

Thanks
Dallin Jones