MySQL install troubles.

Jeff Schroeder jeff at zingstudios.com
Fri Feb 4 14:37:36 MST 2011

Eric:

> I chowned everything under /usr/local to mysqld:mysqld

That's probably not a good idea.  Better to chown only the files that
MySQL expects to be owned by itself.  Since /usr/local has tons of
other software installed in it (probably) you don't want all of it to
be owned by the MySQL user.

> ERROR 1049 (42000): Unknown database 'mysql'
> FATAL ERROR: Upgrade failed

It sounds like mysql_install_db failed.  It should create a database
called 'mysql' which contains the master user/privilege table as well
as other top-level stuff.  If you go into the directory where the
database files are actually stored, you should see a 'mysql'
subdirectory there (as well as subdirectories for all of your other
databases).  If not, then it wasn't created properly.

Jeff