MySQL install troubles.

Jeff Schroeder jeff at zingstudios.com
Fri Feb 4 13:39:08 MST 2011

Eric:

> I did run mysql_install_db and it did appear to succeed.. I didn't
> see any errors, anyway. I then proceeded to run
> mysql_secure_installation as recommended by mysql_install_db, and it
> threw errors about not being able to connect through
> /var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock.

Right, because mysql_secure_installation requires that the database be
running.  So before you run that, you'll need to start the MySQL
process itself.  That's why you don't see the socket file.

> 110204 13:28:08 [ERROR] mysqld: Can't find file:
> './mysql/time_zone_leap_second.frm' (errno: 13)
> 110204 13:28:08 [Warning] Can't open and lock time zone table: Can't
> find file: './mysql/time_zone_leap_second.frm' (errno: 13) trying to
> live without them
> 110204 13:28:08 [ERROR] mysqld: Can't find file:
> './mysql/servers.frm' (errno: 13)
> 110204 13:28:08 [ERROR] Can't open and lock privilege tables: Can't
> find file: './mysql/servers.frm' (errno: 13)

All of these errors indicate that MySQL is expecting the database files
to be in the current directory (./mysql).  I wonder why it's not
looking in /var/lib/mysql or something instead.  Perhaps one of your
compile directives set the default data path?

To test this, go into /var/lib and THEN start MySQL-- if this is the
problem, it should actually work because it'll look for a sub-directory
called mysql (which now exists where you are).

Jeff