MySQL install troubles.

Jeff Schroeder jeff at zingstudios.com
Fri Feb 4 12:47:07 MST 2011

Eric:

> The installation didn't create the socket file, and I'm not sure how
> to, but I don't think it should be starting this badly on a fresh
> install. Can anyone provide me with guidance here?

What user are you running MySQL as?  What user installed/owns the files?

If you have a "clean" install of MySQL and run something
like 'mysql_install_db' to set up the initial database, those files
will be in /var/lib/mysql (or wherever) and owned by the user who just
executed that command.  Say that's 'root'.

Then when you start the MySQL process, it's probably running as
user 'mysql' and doesn't have the right privileges to open or write the
files it needs.

I'm not sure if that's your problem, but it's a good place to start
looking.

HTH,
Jeff