Linux image solution

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Wed Feb 2 16:04:10 MST 2011

On 02/02/2011 01:38 PM, Derek Cox wrote:
> I am looking for an imaging solution for Linux.  I know Acronis can do
> backups while the machine is running, under windows.  Does anyone know of a
> free imaging software that can backup a Linux machine without requiring a
> reboot?

I have had success backing up a running system with rsync -ravHx.

Things like SQL are problematic and other forms of hot backup should be
used.

The nice thing about linux is that after an rsync all you have to do is
write boot loader to disk (and maybe mess with fstab).  None of this
"file is in use and cannot be read from" crap that MS still has after
all these years.