Linux image solution

Corey Edwards tensai at zmonkey.org
Wed Feb 2 14:09:46 MST 2011

On 02/02/2011 02:06 PM, Stuart Jansen wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-02-02 at 14:02 -0700, Corey Edwards wrote:
>>>
>>> Only safe for a cold backup after booting off DVD.
>>
>> Or if you freeze the filesystem with LVM or XFS.
>
> You mean snapshot? I'd have to know more about the system. Probably safe
> for a lightly used e-mail server, no way it's sufficient with a busy
> database server.

LVM calls it a snapshot, XFS calls it a freeze. Similar ideas. They're
one potential way of backing up, but yes it depends entirely on what the
goals are and what type of data we're talking about. I'll thrown in that
I've never found a good use for a byte-for-byte backup except for
forensic analysis.

Corey