Linux image solution

Michael Peterson mellence at gmail.com
Wed Feb 2 13:42:05 MST 2011

On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 1:38 PM, Derek Cox <dcox at aquaveo.com> wrote:
> I am looking for an imaging solution for Linux.  I know Acronis can do
> backups while the machine is running, under windows.  Does anyone know of a
> free imaging software that can backup a Linux machine without requiring a
> reboot?
>

> Thanks,
> Derek

You can use dd to copy the contents of a device. Syntax is:

dd if=/dev/sda1 of=~/image

Where /dev/sd** where /dev/sd** is the drive and partition you want to
copy and ~/image is the place where you want to put the image.

if and of signify input and output files respectively.

I'm not sure if that's what you're looking for, but it is a way.