February PLUG Meeting: Intro to Hadoop

Bryan Sant bryan.sant at gmail.com
Tue Feb 1 22:15:04 MST 2011

On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 3:44 PM, Gabriel Gunderson <gabe at gundy.org> wrote:
> Sounds sweet.  Does anyone know if the Canadians are hiring?  BTW, I
> do have a high threshold for *other* people's pain if it helps my
> odds.

Yes, Tynt is hiring.  They need 1 really qualified IT guy in Draper.

> Anyway, a Hadoop meeting should be cool... One question, does Google
> really use it?  I mean, they have MapReduce and GFS. Seems strange to
> me.

Some teams at Google do in fact use Hadoop.  I don't know why as they
have a fantastic home-grown MapReduce framework that does most all the
heavy lifting there.  I think it's mostly used by teams that can't get
time on the main MR cluster.

-Bryan