Open Source Erp Solutions

Doran L. Barton fozz at hypermoo.com
Tue Feb 1 19:46:38 MST 2011

On Tuesday, February 01, 2011 07:30:02 pm Jared Daines wrote:
> The company I work for is looking at implementing an ERP system and was
> wondering what others on this list may have had experience with in the
> past. We've looked at the following so far:
> openerp
> opentaps
> compiere
> openbravo
>
> But would love to find out anybody that has implemented one of these or
> another one to see what worked well and what didn't.

KnowledgeBlue in Salt Lake has done a LOT with Compiere. I used to be an
architect for KnowledgeBlue, so I'm pretty familiar with the product. It is
capable of pretty much anything you throw at it, but like anything that
flexible, there's a substantial amount of setup involved to get it to match
your company's business processes.

OpenBravo is based on an older version of Compiere. As is Adempiere.

Compiere is written in Java. When I worked with it, it used Oracle exclusively
(and EnterpriseDB, which is PostgreSQL with an Oracle compatibility layer
slapped on the front). Also when I worked with it, the Java swing client was
part of the open source version, but not the web front-end. For that, you had
to purchase a license from Compiere. I don't know if that's still the case. It
makes zero business sense to continue doing that, so I have a feeling Compiere
has changed their mind on that. If not, they should.

--
Doran L. Barton - Hypermoo Inc. - <fozz at hypermoo.com> - 801-520-9875
Open source consulting, custom development, systems/network administration