password storage

Doran L. Barton fozz at
Tue Feb 1 08:47:00 MST 2011

Not long ago, Make Compile proclaimed...
> can you suggest a good open source similar to ldap approach. I'm looking
> to have all password and username centralized in one location server
> where all servers should be authenticating it via this type of mechanism.

If all you want is username and password, use a RADIUS server like

OpenLDAP and 389 Directory Server (Formerly Fedora DS) are a couple open
source LDAP solutions.

You can implement an open source ActiveDirectory solution using Samba4.

There's always NIS/NIS+.

Doran L. Barton <fozz at> - Linux, Perl, Web, good fun, and more!
 "Let's reduce noise by ourselves."
    -- Seen in a Tokyo traffic handbook