Supplier Opinions?

Levi Pearson levipearson at gmail.com
Tue Aug 23 08:35:53 MDT 2011

On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 3:32 PM, S. Dale Morrey <sdalemorrey at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
>
> After having a harrowing experience with DFRobot from China sending me
> completely the wrong product.  I'm wondering what companies others in
> the group have dealt with, that they would either recommend or
> recommend avoiding.
>
> In my case I ordered an Atmel Atmega328 (arduino) processor which only
> cost $6.00 but ended up being $25 after shipping costs; only to find
> that it was AtMega168.  Of course they will gladly refund my $6 if I
> send it back to them, but I would have to pay return shipping myself.
>
> Can anyone recommend a good reliable supplier, preferably in the
> U.S.A. for uC and that sort of thing?  I've already tried Central Utah
> Electronics in Provo and while they are a great company, they are
> limited to PICs series only and their stock on hand is a bit limited.

If you need a DIY Arduino board kit, the local Maker group in Utah
Valley, The Transistor, makes and sells a cheap solution.  See
http://thetransistor.com/store/ although it looks like their kit is
out of stock right now.  They're a great bunch of guys with a really
cool hackerspace, so you should check them out anyway.  Also drop by
#utahmakers if you're on IRC and want to chat about Maker stuff.

        --Levi