PIC vs Arduino?

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Thu Aug 18 10:44:48 MDT 2011

On 08/18/2011 09:52 AM, John Shaver wrote:
>> Has anyone used either of this with any degree of success?
>>

> I am also interested to know more.  I have looked at purchasing an
> Arduino unit for a while just to play around and see what it can do.
> Last I checked it wasn't extremely cheap though.   Any success
> stories?

Arduino seems cheap enough.  If you want cheaper you can look at other
AtMega-based boards.  Arduino is just an Atmega processor with a
standardized board, I/O interfaces, programming language and IDE, and
and the Arduino boot loader.  The latter two aren't really required.
I've done some minor work on some code with straight avr-gcc and avrdude
and it was pretty straight forward to upload the code (through an avr
programmer). Also there are other microcontroller platforms, including
one that's compatible with Arduino's I/O stuff that is 32-bit.