PIC vs Arduino?

Levi Pearson levipearson at gmail.com
Thu Aug 18 17:34:09 MDT 2011

On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 5:25 PM, Andrew McNabb <amcnabb at mcnabbs.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 04:44:42PM -0600, Jonathan Duncan wrote:
>>
>> As I understand it, the Arduino is only a prototyping tool.  I do not think they provide any warranty for it, let alone in a production environment.  I have not read anything about them being unreliable though.  Your mileage may vary, of course.  :)
>
> The Arduino is based on Atmel chips.  If you have specific reliability
> requirements, you can work with Atmel to get the right product for your
> needs.  So you can use the Arduino for prototyping and then build a more
> robust system later on.

Yeah, PIC vs Arduino is an apples vs oranges thing.  PIC is a brand of
microcontroller chip, while Arduino is a microcontroller development
platform based on the Atmega brand of microcontroller chips.  There
are industrial-grade solutions for both PIC and Atmega lines,
including complete development environments, but if you think Arduino
is expensive you can just forget about doing custom electronics stuff
right now.  Arduino is where it's at for hobbyist-level
microcontroller projects these days.