need some home networking help

Tod Hansmann plug.org at todandlorna.com
Wed Aug 17 19:01:57 MDT 2011

On 8/17/2011 12:11 PM, Brett Rasmussen wrote:
> I like dealing with deb-based systems better than rpm-based systems, which
> is why I'm leaning toward Zentyal.  I'm just wanting to do due diligence and
> see if there's any reason why in this case I should really override my bias
> because COS is just so much better.

I'm with you on that.  Just a personal preference, but obviously it
counts.  I hadn't heard of Zentyal before this thread, but I can tell
you with ClearOS 5 that I had installed on some old hardware its web
interface was slow as well.  (Full disclosure: I was working for the
current CEO of ClearFoundation at his previous company at that time.)
It had issues with some of the reporting features they have been pushing
since then.

I think if you want reporting features, it might be better to go ClearOS
as a first try.  Otherwise, if I had to pick right now for myself, I'd
probably try Zentyal, to be honest.  It seems like they include home
users a lot more into their product plan.  I think it will be sixes in
the end.

Just my 2 cents.

-Tod Hansmann