need some home networking help

Brett Rasmussen brett.rasmussen at twoedge.com
Wed Aug 17 12:11:04 MDT 2011

On Wed, Aug 17, 2011 at 11:45 AM, Jeff Nyman
<jnyman at americanleadership.net>wrote:

> Not worried about anything. It works just fine.

Jeff, I think Nicholas' comment was to me.

Nicholas, I agree with your thought in principle, but here's what the guy in
the aforementioned post said:

First thing I noticed was that Zentyal requires a very powerful machine,
even as a simple gateway it practically doesn't run on my old test box.  ...
 Based on Ubuntu it is not my first choice. Like RH/CentOS better for
stability reasons. Not that Zentyal isn't stable, although very slow it ran
without problems. ... Zentyal wins in functionality and features, but is
heavy on resources.  ClearOS is more polished and feels more solid. Runs
fantastic on old hardware.

He does then go on to say that he wasn't satisfied with the performance, so
he went in and uninstalled a bunch of packages that he doesn't use, and it
became much more responsive, to the point that he was happy to live with it
as is.  Which tells me I should be fine, but I always like to get more
opinions than one, so I asked you guys about it.

I like dealing with deb-based systems better than rpm-based systems, which
is why I'm leaning toward Zentyal.  I'm just wanting to do due diligence and
see if there's any reason why in this case I should really override my bias
because COS is just so much better.