need some home networking help

Tod Hansmann plug.org at todandlorna.com
Tue Aug 16 08:50:42 MDT 2011

On 8/15/2011 6:50 PM, Michael Torrie wrote:
> On 08/15/2011 06:38 PM, Tod Hansmann wrote:
>> Have you looked at ClearOS?  They're local, actually.  It's a CentOS
>> based system-in-a-box with all web-interface controls.  It will do
>> dansguardian filtering and whatnot, though I haven't used it since it
>> was Clark Connect, but it was pretty much everything you wanted in one
>> install back then.  I can't imagine you would have much more trouble
>> with this release, but ymmv.
>>
>> http://www.clearfoundation.com/Software/downloads
> Do they sell any hardware or are they just software?  Do they sell
> support?  If they could stick their software on a small computer with
> built-in wireless for under $200 (a full on wireless router solution) I
> think there's a big family market for that.

As far as I know, their software is free (as in beer and in freedom) and
will run on low-end hardware.  As long as there are linux drivers
available for the built-in wireless, I'll bet it works out-of-box.  From
what I can see on their site, it looks like it's 64bit only.  Still,
worth a try if it might fit the bill.

-Tod Hansmann