need some home networking help

Tod Hansmann plug.org at todandlorna.com
Mon Aug 15 18:38:43 MDT 2011

On 8/15/2011 4:29 PM, Brett Rasmussen wrote:
> All,
> I have been meaning for a long time to set up my home network differently,
> and I just keep not having any time for it.  I'm not very good with some of
> this sort of thing, and it would just take too much tinkering time that I
> don't really have.
>
> So I want to pay someone to do it for me.  It shouldn't be that big of a
> deal for an experienced sysadmin, I expect.
>
> My needs:
>
> - I have a shoebox computer that I want to use as a firewall box that
> everything goes through.  I've installed the OS already (Ubuntu Server).
>
> - This box needs to run dansguardian, and all traffic in the network needs
> to be forced through the filter without requiring proxy settings in
> browsers.
>
> - My wireless router, which currently provides firewall, dhcp, and local
> dns, will need to be configured to send all traffic through the new firewall
> box, and the new firewall box will need to provide all of that stuff instead
> of the router.
>
> - It also needs to do traffic shaping to give priority to things like skype
> over things like TV episodes.
>
> I guess that's pretty much it.  If you can help me out, email me off list
> and we can work out a time and a price.
>
> Thanks,
> Brett

Have you looked at ClearOS?  They're local, actually.  It's a CentOS
based system-in-a-box with all web-interface controls.  It will do
dansguardian filtering and whatnot, though I haven't used it since it
was Clark Connect, but it was pretty much everything you wanted in one
install back then.  I can't imagine you would have much more trouble
with this release, but ymmv.

http://www.clearfoundation.com/Software/downloads

-Tod Hansmann