need some home networking help

Brett Rasmussen brett.rasmussen at twoedge.com
Mon Aug 15 17:06:00 MDT 2011

On Mon, Aug 15, 2011 at 4:37 PM, Victor Villa <vvilla at gmail.com> wrote:

> pfsense doesn't use ubuntu, but it is easy as pie

Leave it to the very first responder to expose gaps in your description.  :)

I'm not ruling anything out at this point, and pfsense does sound quite
cool, but I failed to mention that in addition to this firewall stuff, I'll
probably be using the shoebox to run a web server, a squeezebox server,
perhaps a file server as well.  These will be so infrequently trafficked
that I doubt they'll make much of a difference for system resources (the
squeezebox server being the possible exception), but I would need that stuff
supported if I went that route.  I'm a rubyist, and the web server would
probably be nginx with passenger and rails.  This is stuff I already know
how to do on linux, so I have a strong inclination toward linux.

That said, I'll certainly have a look at pfsense and see if I'd rather just
go with it and leave the other stuff on my desk box.  Either way, much
thanks for the suggestion.

- Brett