need some home networking help

Victor Villa vvilla at gmail.com
Mon Aug 15 16:37:02 MDT 2011

> So I want to pay someone to do it for me.  It shouldn't be that big of a
> deal for an experienced sysadmin, I expect.
>
> My needs:
>
> - I have a shoebox computer that I want to use as a firewall box that
> everything goes through.  I've installed the OS already (Ubuntu Server).

pfsense doesn't use ubuntu, but it is easy as pie

> - This box needs to run dansguardian, and all traffic in the network needs
> to be forced through the filter without requiring proxy settings in
> browsers.

there are free alternatives to dansguardian in pfsense, AFAIK

> - My wireless router, which currently provides firewall, dhcp, and local
> dns, will need to be configured to send all traffic through the new firewall
> box, and the new firewall box will need to provide all of that stuff instead
> of the router.

pfsense offers squid and squid can be made to run in transparent mode

> - It also needs to do traffic shaping to give priority to things like skype
> over things like TV episodes.

i *think* pfsense does this, but i've never personally done it

> I guess that's pretty much it.  If you can help me out, email me off list
> and we can work out a time and a price.

if you've already thrown in the towel, i'm sure somebody here will
respond, but if you've got a minute, then i'd STRONGLY recommend
looking at pfsense.  It is crazy awesome for us *nix noobs and comes
with more features than those you ask for here.  heck, i'm listening
to my music library from home at work via VPN offered by you guessed
it, pfsense.  and it's easy to config and never had a down day in the
4years operation.

mj/v