32 vs 64 bit today?

Jacob Albretsen jakea at xmission.com
Mon Aug 15 11:23:58 MDT 2011

On Saturday 13 August 2011, S. Dale Morrey wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
>
> I just wanted to take a quick poll and ask what the current state of
> the whole 32 vs 64 bit thing is now days when it comes to distros.
> I remember a few years ago there were some major issues when going
> with a 64 bit distro and was curious to know if this is still the case
> at all or if all those kinks have been worked out by now?  Is there
> any reason given a 64 bit processor that anyone would still need to
> use a 32 bit distro?

10ish years ago, I had issues with some scientific software.  Matlab would
install and work fine on Red Hat 9, but not work on Mandrake whatever the
version was at the time.  But when I used Mandrake instead, Maple would work
great, but failed on Red Hat.  Of course the professor needed both Matlab and
Maple.

Flash forward years later, and both these and other software like Mathmatica
work fine in 64 bit in any distro I try.

--
Jacob Albretsen
jakea at xmission.com
http://blog.knine.net/