32 vs 64 bit today?

Henry Paul henry at paulfam.com
Sat Aug 13 11:43:52 MDT 2011

On 08/13/2011 06:14 AM, S. Dale Morrey wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
>
> I just wanted to take a quick poll and ask what the current state of
> the whole 32 vs 64 bit thing is now days when it comes to distros.

So I suppose the first question is server or desktop? If you're
application uses heaps of memory (pun intended) then the choice is
clear. PAE kernels on 32-bit are fine for low amounts of memory above
4gb, but it does not scale well.

If we're looking at the desktop then in addition to what has already
been discussed I would add hardware drivers to the list. However, I have
noticed that Linux has been the clear winner in this domain. I had
experienced stellar hardware support in 64-bit on Linux where the same
hardware struggled to find decent support in Windows for years.

I have been running a 64-bit desktop for years now. I do pretty much
everything with it with no major problems. Internet, media transcoding,
photo editing, software development. I can't remember a time where I had
to revert to a 32-bit system to accomplish what I needed to do.

--Henry