32 vs 64 bit today?

Richard Esplin richard-lists at esplins.org
Sat Aug 13 08:52:33 MDT 2011

I have run 64 bit exclusively for years. Every so often I find something that is 32 bit only and a pain to workaround.

Usually it's something proprietary that doesn't want to give Linux any love.

My short list:
* Flash (doing better recently)
* Java browser plugin (also doing better)
* Webex player (work paid for a virtual machine license to solve this)
* Amazon music downloader (there is an opensource alternative)

I wish these guys would come into this century.

Richard

On Saturday August 13 2011 06:14:22 "S. Dale Morrey" <sdalemorrey at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
>
> I just wanted to take a quick poll and ask what the current state of
> the whole 32 vs 64 bit thing is now days when it comes to distros.
> I remember a few years ago there were some major issues when going
> with a 64 bit distro and was curious to know if this is still the case
> at all or if all those kinks have been worked out by now?  Is there
> any reason given a 64 bit processor that anyone would still need to
> use a 32 bit distro?
<snip>