32 vs 64 bit today?

Stuart Jansen sjansen at buscaluz.org
Sat Aug 13 07:16:36 MDT 2011

On Sat, 2011-08-13 at 06:14 -0600, S. Dale Morrey wrote:
> I just wanted to take a quick poll and ask what the current state of
> the whole 32 vs 64 bit thing is now days when it comes to distros.
> I remember a few years ago there were some major issues when going
> with a 64 bit distro and was curious to know if this is still the case
> at all or if all those kinks have been worked out by now?  Is there
> any reason given a 64 bit processor that anyone would still need to
> use a 32 bit distro?

Major issues? I've been running 64bit for nearly 7 years without any
major issues. Never had a problem with servers, and on my laptop Flash
was the only real annoyance. Perhaps you're thinking of Debian's
incredible delay to support multilib and the inconvenient suggestion to
use a chroot as a work around.

Old hardware is the only reason I'm aware of to still use 32bit.