A creepy lawsuit based on an incomplete understanding.

Robert Ridge ridger at ieee.org
Fri Aug 12 11:49:12 MDT 2011

On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 7:15 AM, Steve Meyers <steve-plug at spwiz.com> wrote:

> On 8/10/11 11:54 PM, S. Dale Morrey wrote:
> > My understanding is that they can't actually do this but what they are
> > actually doing is violating internet protocol and domains that come up
> > in DNS as unregistered are being served up as advertising "parking"
> > pages.  Is that correct or am I missing something here?

> Apparently, the EFF believes that they're doing it.

We at Provo City have experienced this.

We tried to limit the laptops in the police cars to a few work related
locations by setting up their DNS servers to connect to City owned servers.
This worked great if they were in the station connecting via our wireless
networks.  But as soon as they connected to Sprint air cards, they could go
anywhere on the internet.  Sprint admitted to us that they were inspecting
all traffic and re-routing all DNS requests from the address in the packet
to their own internal DNS servers.  Apparently, they make a lot of money by
charging companies to redirect requests for incorrect or non-existent names
to the company's web sites.  They refused to change this behavior when
requested by the City.

So don't assume your traffic goes where it is addressed - your ISP may be
directing it elsewhere.

--
Robert J Ridge
1357 W 1460 North