Linux Music Production

Brett Rasmussen brett.rasmussen at twoedge.com
Thu Aug 11 12:26:38 MDT 2011

If I'm understanding correctly what you want to do, you ought to look into
Ubuntu Studio.  It's a whole distribution aimed at multimedia creation.  On
the audio side, it comes with a whole bunch of software for doing whatever
you'd need: sampling, sequencing, mixing, etc.  Apparently they've also done
some low-level tweaks to reduce audio latency, and I think they're roughly
in sync with the standard Ubuntu release cycle as well.

>From what I've read (which isn't all that much), the linux alternative to
something like Fruity Loops would be ardour, which probably comes with
Ubuntu Studio.

I haven't used any of these things yet, but am planning on it sometime soon.
 So I can't give any report on how well it works or how complete it is, but
I know there are full project studios based off of linux, one run by a guy
on this list.

One thing that might be a caveat: you said you have no budget for this, and
the paradigm that I'm slightly familiar with is having at least some sort of
instrument outside of the computer for actually creating the notes.  For
example, a MIDI synthesizer that you would play on to send note data to the
computer, for which you'd need a MIDI sound card, and the software would
provide the sound itself.  Or you could use a synthesizer or mic or guitar
that you were just recording into the computer via a sound card that took
XLR or 1/4-inch inputs.  For these sorts of things, I've been looking at the
M-audio Delta 1010lt (~$180), which is a sound card that has a whole bunch
of different dongles of different types of audio inputs and outputs.  With
something like that, you could do all of the above and more.

But that whole paradigm is based on having at least some external hardware.
 As for creating the notes directly on the computer, I know there's stuff
out there that does that, like GarageBand in the Apple world, and there
probably is stuff like that in linux, but I just haven't played around with
all of it enough to know.

- Brett