Best internet access in draper?

Corey Edwards tensai at zmonkey.org
Wed Aug 10 16:16:01 MDT 2011

On 08/10/2011 02:53 PM, John Shaver wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 1:38 PM, Richard Esplin
> <richard-lists at esplins.org> wrote:
>> If those are your only two options, than you should also consider
>> the wireless ISPs.
>>
>> I was pretty happy with Digis for a few years, though I know some
>> people on this list had problems.
>
> I guess I really didn't take them into consideration (maybe I will
> now) for 2 reasons.  First, wireless usually means connectivity
> issues.  It doesn't always happen and alot of people have great
> success with wifi, but I haven't always.

Commercial systems are quite a bit more reliable than your typical
residential wifi, so don't let that sour you. Just make sure that if you
sign a long term contract there are provisions for early termination if
the service is not satisfactory. And keep good documentation of service
calls.

> Second, everytime I ask one of their sales people about the
> technology or speed provided by their service, all they can tell me
> is "It's broadband", which really doesn't mean much and is probably
> not even technically true, unless their wireless signals connect over
> multiple frequencies.

In the US anything over 128kbps is technically "broadband". Aren't we
pathetic?

> Them not being able to give me any specific information about he
> technology really steered me away from ever considering it.  I don't
> think that was Digis though, it was CLEAR or something like that.

That's a little surprising and concerning. They should at the very least
tell you what frequency it is so you can be certain you don't have any
conflicting equipment. If it's a licensed band like Clear uses, the
front line folks may not really have a clue as in theory it shouldn't be
an issue. Have you tried asking a DSL provider what DSL modulation
scheme they use? You'll probably get similar blank stares.

Corey