Best internet access in draper?

Corey Edwards tensai at zmonkey.org
Wed Aug 10 12:53:00 MDT 2011

On 08/10/2011 12:04 PM, Tod Hansmann wrote:
> On 8/10/2011 9:43 AM, John Shaver wrote:
>> I've never used DSL in the past. Anyone want to share their
>> experience? What kind of speeds does DSL provide now? Thanks!
> DSL can get speeds of up to 7 Mbit down and 768kbit up if you're
> close to the CO.

There are other DSL technologies that are faster, 20mbps and greater.
That requires replacing DSLAMs and modems though so it's been a slow
deployment. From what I hear Qwest is rolling out some of that equipment
though, as are other DSL providers, so maybe someday.

> DSL is a dedicated line for just your use. Cable around here is a
> shared line between you and your neighbors.  You are provisioned a
> certain piece of the overall bandwidth, and they hope not everyone is
> using much of it at any given time.

Yes DSL is a dedicated line, but only until it reaches the DSLAM. At
that point there are any number of congestion points where you are
sharing bandwidth with others, so I find the "dedicated line"
distinction to be a red herring.

Corey