Best internet access in draper?

Eric Olsen falconv at gmail.com
Wed Aug 10 11:43:31 MDT 2011

On Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 9:43 AM, John Shaver <bobjohnbob at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 9, 2011 at 9:53 PM, Tod Hansmann <plug.org at todandlorna.com>
> wrote:
>
> > There is a major difference between Veracity and XMission.  The latter
> > is a quality ISP with great people and technology and a solid support
> > structure for the savvy technologist and the average user alike.  The
> > former, well, they have mixed reviews in my book. >.>
>
> Were I lived for the last 4 years, we had both at some point.  The
> first one we had wasn't great and the second one was great.  There
> were very few outages and any time there was, they contacted us to let
> us know exactly why.
>
> Since I wasn't paying for it, I don't remember which was which.  The
> guy who WAS paying for it is on this list though, so maybe he'll chime
> in :).

It's exactly as Tod said. Veracity was great as long as it worked (so
Utopia's connection was great). When it went down however, their customer
service was horrible. If your internet ever goes down, don't expect their CS
reps to know what's going on or if it will ever be fixed. XMission has been
much more like a Utopia though. I won't even know the internet went out last
night and I'll get an email telling me what happened and how they're fixing
it. If it goes down, I call their support and if they don't already have a
message on their phone system telling me what's going on, their support
techs will know. It's been a great experience, and I don't have to pay much
more to get it.

As if that wasn't enough, Veracity forced me into an automatic withdraw
plan, and automatically withdrew $160 one month when I apparently went over
my bandwidth allotment (turns out I was being bombarded by Chinese hackers -
of course their support people were no help figuring this out). XMission on
the other hand allows me to choose to get an invoice and pay them instead.

-Eric