Best internet access in draper?

Levi Pearson levipearson at gmail.com
Wed Aug 10 10:21:27 MDT 2011

On Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 10:01 AM, Joshua Marsh <joshua at themarshians.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 09:43, John Shaver <bobjohnbob at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> I've never used DSL in the past.  Anyone want to share their
>> experience?  What kind of speeds does DSL provide now?
>>

> It depends on what your neighbors doing with it in their basement.
>
> Honestly though, if you have good line quality, DSL works pretty well. I've
> been using it for the past few years. Where I'm at now only offers 7 down
> and 768K up. It's enough to do general stuff, but I've relegated most of my
> projects and hobbies to colos or linode. My previous residence offered 20M
> down and 3M up. I loved it.

Having good line quality is an issue, though.  One thing to keep in
mind with DSL is that Qwest will either let you go with their ISP or
your own.  But the two services only go over the same lines for a
small part of the path, and the good quality high speed lines are only
available with the Qwest ISP.  I love XMission as an ISP, but I've had
terrible a experience twice now with the DSL line quality while using
them due to Qwest issues.  Both times, I ended up with waaaaay better
internet connectivity from Comcast when I eventually switched, and I
don't have to deal with support issues enough to miss XMission's
wonderful support system too badly.

        --Levi