Best internet access in draper?

Tod Hansmann plug.org at todandlorna.com
Tue Aug 9 21:53:01 MDT 2011

On 8/9/2011 6:08 PM, John Shaver wrote:
> I just moved to Draper and am now for the first time in my life able to
> choose which company I subscribe to for internet access.  Does anyone have
> any recommendations for stable relatively fast and inexpensive internet
> access in the area?
>
> Is Fiber available up here?  The last ISP I had in Orem was
> Veracity/Xmission Fiber and I was very happy with the speed and service.
>
> I guess I'd also prefer a company that doesn't mind me setting up some of my
> own services (http, ssh, some game servers, etc.)  Sorry for any funny
> formatting.  I don't have an ISP yet so I'm sending this from my phone.

There is a major difference between Veracity and XMission.  The latter
is a quality ISP with great people and technology and a solid support
structure for the savvy technologist and the average user alike.  The
former, well, they have mixed reviews in my book. >.>

As for Draper, they are not a Utopia pledged city, but that may or may
not mean anything.  I'm sure if you can get DSL, you can get it through
XMIssion over whoever owns the copper (as a bonus, they are very
affordable and you can get a /29 subnet pretty easily if that's your
thing, like it is mine).  Comcast will likely provide the cable internet
service.  I am not aware of any city ISPs like Provo or Spanish Fork,
etc, has, so that's probably your options right there.

There's the extent of my knowledge on the subject. =c)

-Tod Hansmann