A word to the wise about 1 & 1

S. Dale Morrey sdalemorrey at gmail.com
Sat Apr 30 05:31:16 MDT 2011

I'm venting here, so feel free to ignore my rant.
I purchased a domain a couple of nights ago from 1&1 internet.

I went there because domains are on sale for $4.99 for the first year
and frankly money is extremely tight.
After being presented with about 50 different "upgrade" offers, many
of which were so kindly defaulted to "yes", I was finally able to
complete the transaction.

Today, 48hrs later I finally got confirmation that my order had been processed.

The first thing I did was to log in to manage the domain.
I just wanted to add a simple test page, so that google could validate
that I own the domain, all I want to do is get apps for the domain
going.
I tried their website builder, what a POS.

Seriously, this is the worst piece of junk I've ever used, and to top
it off, if you want to do anything other than add a few words to their
templated site, you need to "upgrade" to their website builder plus.
You can't edit anything other than the text and maybe upload a picture
or two without the upgrade.  Not the javascript, not the meta tags,
nothing!

Since that wasn't going to work, I decided to try the other suggested
route and add a TXT record to my zone file.
Not only is the zone file not immediately or intuitively available,
the only thing you are allowed to do is point the currently available
fields.
In otherwords you can't add CNAMEs, or TXT records or any other record
than a single A record and an MX record.

That just made me very angry, so I went over to ZoneEdit, which is as
far as I can tell the only remaining free nameserver service and setup
my zone file there.

Then I went back to 1&1 and tried to set my name servers.
Nope, no dice there either.  It seemed to accept the change at first,
but not only is it not propagating, I appear to be locked out of the
management tool.

At this point, I'm going to chalk my $4.99 up as a loss and see if I
can get a real registrar to perform a transfer.
My advice for the future is to stay the heck away from none & none,
err excuse me, 1&1.

Any suggestions for a decent registrar?

Sincerely,
Steve