Ribbon connectors

Von Fugal von at fugal.net
Mon Sep 27 10:49:08 MDT 2010

I have a blown up car stereo and a working antique cabinet stereo. The
antique does phono, tape, cd, radio, so needless to say it's kind of
awesome. However, the cd player doesn't track, it'll load, *maybe* glean
some track info, then fail to play for more than a second.

So, like any self respecting DIYer, I hope to integrate the cd player
from the dead car stereo into the cabinet stereo. First glance it looks
pretty straight forward, the ribbons to the optics are of the same
count, and the various motor wires would be easy enough to solder up.
The ribbons to the optics, however, are different sizes. I've been to
CUES and the guy said they don't have that kind of ribbon connector.
Does anybody know where else I might try to find such connectors -
either adapter to go from one size to another, or two connectors I can
manually hook together? Also, any warnings about trying such a feat?

Von Fugal
--
Government is a disease that masquerades as its own cure
-- Robert Lefevre