gtk 2 program icon question

Charles Curley charlescurley at
Mon Sep 20 08:25:10 MDT 2010

On Sun, 19 Sep 2010 23:46:39 -0600
Stuart Jansen <sjansen at> wrote:

> On Sun, 2010-09-19 at 22:53 -0600, Charles Curley wrote:
> > I'd like to set the program icon for a gtk 2 application written in
> > C. To do this, I know to use gtk_window_set_icon (). It takes a GDK
> > pixbuf. I can create a pixbuf from an external file using
> > gdk_pixbuf_new_from_file, but that's a bit tacky. I'd rather
> > compile it into the program. Supposedly you can do it, but how?
> or

Thank you, that did it, with a nice one-liner:

        /* Set our icon. */
        gtk_window_set_icon ((GtkWindow *)window,
                             gdk_pixbuf_new_from_inline ( -1,
        iconPixBuf, false, NULL));

I went with the pixbuf rather than xpm because the pixbuf will be as
portable as gkt+ lets it be, and everything else graphical in the
program is gtk+.