Virtues of trimming -- was Re: JOB: Linux System Administrator

Aaron Toponce aaron.toponce at gmail.com
Fri Sep 17 14:00:16 MDT 2010

On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 01:39:14PM -0600, Charles Curley wrote:
> Aaron Toponce <aaron.toponce at gmail.com> wrote:
> > So, now I get to find the email where Levi rebuked the thread, and
> > more if I want to see where Stuart knee-jerked.
>
> Oh, Aaron, as a mutt uber-user, surely you know how to search in mutt,
> or even outside of it? There is a perl tool for grepping mail boxes, and
> a short program to take the results of that search and toss it into
> mutt so you can read the selected messages. Even I, a non-mutt user,
> know that. :-)

Of course I can search my mail. I know how to use my MUA. But, when you
have 40,000+ emails, and you're searching for a quite common term that
will show up in thousands of mail, even in a specific mailbox, you
quickly learn how much you hate email, top-posted or bottom-posted.

Besides, I'm speaking generically. I also use Thunderbird, the Gmail MUA
and Outlook, all of which have different ways to accomplish the same
result for your search. Some good, some bad.

--
. o .   o . o   . . o   o . .   . o .
. . o   . o o   o . o   . o o   . . o