(un)professional e-mail skills -- was Re: JOB: Linux System Administrator

Von Fugal von at fugal.net
Fri Sep 17 11:17:01 MDT 2010

<quote name="Bryan Sant" date="Fri, 17 Sep 2010 at 11:02 -0600">
> > I never bought this causility argument. Even Mutt starts you at the top
> > of the email. Truth is, you DO start at the top, even when trimming,
> > because you go through the whole email, top to bottom, keeping context
> > or snipping it out, until you're done with the message and have
> > responded to everything you feel relevant to respond to. No, it's not
> > simply because the cursor starts at the top. Maybe the problem is the
> > editor. Vim sure makes it super easy to trim things. ;) And even makes
> > it easy to wrap at 72 characters, as was mentioned elsewhere.
>
> Yes, but most mail clients do some form of "quoting" on the original
> text, give you some white space at the top, AND place your cursor up
> there.  The software is BEGGING me to top post.  So, it's no surprise
> that people choose the path of least resistance (or do what the
> computer is prompting me to do) and top post...  And so far, I haven't
> noticed any organizations fail due to their lack of bottom posting
> adoption.  Are top posters savages?  Of course they are, but who
> cares.  Que Sera, Sera.

Again, Mutt w/ VIm will quote the entire message, place it in your reply
email, and stick the cursor at the top. Yet you'd be hard pressed to
find a mutt user that doesn't trim.

Von Fugal
--
Government is a disease that masquerades as its own cure
-- Robert Lefevre