(un)professional e-mail skills -- was Re: JOB: Linux System Administrator

Bryan Sant bryan.sant at gmail.com
Fri Sep 17 11:02:02 MDT 2010

On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 9:52 AM, Von Fugal <von at fugal.net> wrote:
>> Wow.  I could be completely wrong, but I don't think that people in
>> the "management hierarchy" top post to you because it's easier than
>> spitting in your face (but equally offensive!).
>
> Nah, it's not spitting in faces, nobody top posts as a way to spite the
> person their replying to. It's more like them eating your lunch in the
> company fridge because they don't even CARE who you are or that you were
> planning on eating that.

Zing!  That's good.  If I ever REALLY want to hurt someone, I'll have
to keep this in mind.

> I never bought this causility argument. Even Mutt starts you at the top
> of the email. Truth is, you DO start at the top, even when trimming,
> because you go through the whole email, top to bottom, keeping context
> or snipping it out, until you're done with the message and have
> responded to everything you feel relevant to respond to. No, it's not
> simply because the cursor starts at the top. Maybe the problem is the
> editor. Vim sure makes it super easy to trim things. ;) And even makes
> it easy to wrap at 72 characters, as was mentioned elsewhere.

Yes, but most mail clients do some form of "quoting" on the original
text, give you some white space at the top, AND place your cursor up
there.  The software is BEGGING me to top post.  So, it's no surprise
that people choose the path of least resistance (or do what the
computer is prompting me to do) and top post...  And so far, I haven't
noticed any organizations fail due to their lack of bottom posting
adoption.  Are top posters savages?  Of course they are, but who
cares.  Que Sera, Sera.