(un)professional e-mail skills -- was Re: JOB: Linux System Administrator

Jonathan Duncan jonathan at bluesunhosting.com
Fri Sep 17 10:29:36 MDT 2010

On 17 Sep 2010, at 10:05, Michael Torrie wrote:

> On 09/17/2010 09:56 AM, Levi Pearson wrote:
>> But at work, I communicate with a bunch of smart engineers
>
> Now you're making many of us jealous. :)

I remember in high school learning how to properly write a letter to someone.  I try to refer back to those lessons as often as needed.

These days, it seems that proper etiquette in communications of all forms has become much more lackadaisical.  Perhaps is is the overabundance of information and/or the ease of communicating that has contributed to a digression from good writing traditions.

I am not sure how to solve the problem, as the future generations are learning spelling and grammar from lol cats.  Hopefully I can instill in my own children adequate communication decorum.

As concerning the email problems that we all face, I would say that it appears that some parties involved are polarized to extremes.  While all sides of any argument on this topic may have valid points, I think that the "war" will only be ended by all sides making some concessions, taking some time to understand the perspective of their "opponents", and meeting somewhere in the middle.

Thank you once again, PLUG, for the entertaining thread.

Jonathan