(un)professional e-mail skills -- was Re: JOB: Linux System Administrator

Bryan Sant bryan.sant at gmail.com
Fri Sep 17 10:05:54 MDT 2010

On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 9:26 AM, Michael Torrie <torriem at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 09/16/2010 11:39 PM, Bryan Sant wrote:
>> 99% of all people top post because the email tool they use puts the
>> blinky cursor at the top of the email when they press the "Reply"
>> button.
>
> Of course.  But in my experience, this also leads people to not read my
> e-mails (we're talking work-related here... feel free to ignore my plug
> e-mails).  I can give you half a dozen examples of this.  I see it time
> and time again.  People just don't read anymore.  It's a fact.

I agree with you.  There are real benefits to trimming and bottom
posting.  But I top-post at work routinely because that is the
cultural norm.  If I were to bottom post at work, I would expect
others to be irritated with me trying to force my nutty preference on
them (and then be pissed that they don't adopt my preference).

Your OP made it sound like these <insert class warfare term> people
were top posting (and ignoring the details of your message as a
consequence) in a direct and premeditated effort to marginalize and
dismiss you.  Perhaps they're just busy, read a lot of email, and have
low reading comprehension?