Virtues of trimming -- was Re: JOB: Linux System Administrator

Von Fugal von at fugal.net
Fri Sep 17 09:32:15 MDT 2010

<quote name="Aaron Toponce" date="Fri, 17 Sep 2010 at 07:24 -0600">
> I'll give top-posting one serious argument: I don't want to open many
> emails to get to each conversation. By top-posting, I have the entire
> thread in a single email. Even me, a bottom-feeder, has grown tired of
> scanning several messages in a thread, when the search is failing me.
> When everyone top posts, I only need scan a single message.

Properly trimmed responses will have the reply, the context to the
reply, and even the many generations of context. It contains whatever
the poster felt relevant to his reply. Proper trimmers take thought of
what is relevant, and include it, while simultaneously discarding that
which is not relevant. I have jumped into archives of both top-posting
and trim-posting and the trimmed messages are way way easier to get into
than the top posted ones. For starters, on the top posted message, you
have to read BACKWARDS!!! Drives me nuts! Trimmed messages I can start
at the top, skip paragraph by paragraph until I find something new or
interesting, and keep on going down to the reply.

Especially when threads split and branch, top posting has way more in it
than what is relevant to that little branch.

Von Fugal
--
Government is a disease that masquerades as its own cure
-- Robert Lefevre