(un)professional e-mail skills -- was Re: JOB: Linux System Administrator

William Attwood wattwood at gmail.com
Fri Sep 17 09:11:26 MDT 2010

While working at a software company as a Project Manager, I was introduced
to a new, evolutionary way of approaching this.  Be concise:

   - Where appropriate, use bullets
      - and indent for additional details
   - repeat what was written to you, in short, fine detail
      - is this what you meant?
      - what can we do about it?
   - *Attention*: This is something that needs your attention
   - *David*: you should look at this line, and follow-up with me
   - *Ryan*: I blame you
      - Yes, Mr. Byrd.  You piped up, put fuel in a fire, and then walked
      away.

Thanks,
-Will
P.S. I did top post.  I'm not going to go through cutting up an e-mail,
segregating my thoughts to your various, wildly spread out action items, and
hope the e-mail keeps some sort of professional look and feel past the 2nd
response.  I'll be concise, repeat what you told me, ask any questions, and
you can add to the bullets in your own e-mail to follow-up.