(un)professional e-mail skills -- was Re: JOB: Linux System Administrator

Aaron Toponce aaron.toponce at gmail.com
Fri Sep 17 07:11:10 MDT 2010

On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 02:48:55AM -0600, Levi Pearson wrote:
> Grow up, guys.  There's a world outside of unixoid operating systems,
> system administration, and internet tradition.  Not everyone cares
> about what you care about.  Nobody has to conform to how you think
> they should communicate with you.  Whining about it just makes you
> look petty and ridiculously anal.  Sure, you've got good reasons for
> why you do things the way you do, but they're *your* reasons, not
> universal ones, or they would actually *be* universal rather than
> adopted by only a tiny minority.

Wait, wait, wait. Hold the phone. You mean to tell me, that because I
call my system "GNU/Linux", I'm not superior to someone who calls it
"Linux"?! You mean to tell me that because I use 100%
Richard-Stallman-approved Free Software, I'm not superior to someone who
uses Skype to video chat with their kids?! You mean to tell me, that
becaue I bottom-post email in plain text, wrap my lines at 72
characters, and only give one space after a full stop instead two, I'm
not superior to the "corporate management email user" stereotype?!

Wow, you've just rocked my boat. Now I need to go rethink my life.

Does this mean I need to shave my beard too?

--
. o .   o . o   . . o   o . .   . o .
. . o   . o o   o . o   . o o   . . o