(un)professional e-mail skills -- was Re: JOB: Linux System Administrator

Bryan Sant bryan.sant at gmail.com
Thu Sep 16 23:39:16 MDT 2010

On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 10:58 PM, Michael Torrie <torriem at gmail.com> wrote:
> But that's not the worst of it.  Almost without
> exception when someone in the management hierarchy replies to my email
> with top-posting it signifies that he or she did not read anything I
> wrote and is just replying to what he or she thought I said.  It's very
> frustrating because it represents simple laziness on the other person's
> part.  If he's too lazy to read what I actually wrote, what else is he
> lazy in?  Are my ideas even mattering to him and my company?  I bet that
> many of you can say similar things about so-called professional e-mails
> at your companies too.

Wow.  I could be completely wrong, but I don't think that people in
the "management hierarchy" top post to you because it's easier than
spitting in your face (but equally offensive!).

99% of all people top post because the email tool they use puts the
blinky cursor at the top of the email when they press the "Reply"
button.  Outlook, gmail, hotmail, Mail.app, GroupWise and most webmail
offerings put the cursor at the top of the email for the user.  I
always thought that the designers/developers of these various mail
clients had valid reasons for choosing this default behavior...
Little did I know that they were actually just corroborating with
those "management hierarchy" types to strike a stinging blow against
the down trodden.

Now I know...  And knowing is half the battle.

-Bryan