samba hide shares

Tod Hansmann tod at todandlorna.com
Tue Sep 14 22:15:28 MDT 2010

  On 9/14/2010 9:57 PM, Von Fugal wrote:
> <snip some stuff>
> I never attacked a specific policy. I never said it was bad to use
> obscurity. I said it is not a good general first rule.
Not meaning to offend, just share an explanation.

I think Levi's point was that you were attacking the policy of saying
things like "the first rule of security" which was a colloquial phrase
never meant to be taken seriously, let alone criticized as you arguably
had indeed done.  I don't think "obscurity" as a word or a concept is
important to Levi's point here.  Arguably, any time someone rants about
anything it can be taken as an attack.  This short deal I'm writing now
could easily be taken so.  Your particular rant was fairly abrasive in
the treatment of the subject matter you were discussing, without really
separating Merrill from the subject matter, so it's an easy conclusion
to draw.  I don't think it was your intent, but you didn't dodge it
either.  Just saying.

> <snip some other stuff>

Carry on...

-Tod Hansmann